View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:53 am

The way they have qualifying for the 500 is ridiculous. 35 teams automatically make it based on owner points from the previous year. Guys like Nemechek and Boris Said qualified in the top 20 and still might not make it. Wish they would change it so every driver has the same chance to get in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 466
Favorite Teams : Miami Dolphins

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:56 am

Line Judge wrote:
The way they have qualifying for the 500 is ridiculous. 35 teams automatically make it based on owner points from the previous year. Guys like Nemechek and Boris Said qualified in the top 20 and still might not make it. Wish they would change it so every driver has the same chance to get in.

Ya, thats how they have done it since...forever. I don't think it is so bad, because if they weren't in the top 35 in points last year, they probably aren't very good anyways.

"You lose with potential. You win with performance."...Bill Parcells
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theredzone.talk-forums.com
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 247
Favorite Teams : Cleveland Browns, Boston Celtics, Ohio State Buckeyes
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:44 pm

The Referee wrote:
Line Judge wrote:

Ya, thats how they have done it since...forever. I don't think it is so bad, because if they weren't in the top 35 in points last year, they probably aren't very good anyways.

I agree.

I love the way the Daytona 500 is set up. It's the greatest race in Nascar and the qualifying and everything else is actually exciting. I wouldn't want it like this for every race, but I'm fine with it for the 500
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Well I think that's a bad assumption saying if you weren't in the top 35 in points last year that you aren't good anyways. Remember when Michael Waltrip, and Ward Burton (recent guys) won it? They weren't powerhouses the year prior, I think everybody should get a shot to get in. In football, are division champs given a provisional to the playoffs the following year???? Food for thought.
Oh, and when are you guys going to learn that Tony Stewart is the man?!?!?!?!?! haha just kiddin. I'm a Kahne fan now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:24 pm

Line Judge wrote:
Well I think that's a bad assumption saying if you weren't in the top 35 in points last year that you aren't good anyways. Remember when Michael Waltrip, and Ward Burton (recent guys) won it? They weren't powerhouses the year prior, I think everybody should get a shot to get in. In football, are division champs given a provisional to the playoffs the following year???? Food for thought.
Oh, and when are you guys going to learn that Tony Stewart is the man?!?!?!?!?! haha just kiddin. I'm a Kahne fan now.
He is the man....with a mullet. He is the man....that Junior beat. And Waltrip isn't very good. he has to tracks where he is decent, Daytona and Talladega. He wasn't anything until he joined DEI and finally he won a race. DEI made Michael. Ward Burton doesn't even got a full time ride right now. Everyone does have a shot to get in, its just if you did well last year you have a better shot. And remember its only for the first 5 races, where you get in. You still have to make it it after that. It's just a little security blanket in case something happens during qualifying, like an unexpected cut tire or a wreck.

Back to top Go down
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Well, IMO there shouldn't be that security blanket. Each team has the same things at stake, and are chasing the same goal. Why are some teams given the provisional? I say qualify them to set up the "duels", run the duels and the top 43 guys make it. If Dale Jr., Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Kasey Kahne etc. doesn't make it too bad. No other major sports give provisionals to the biggest event of the year, why should NASCAR?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Back Judge
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 55
Favorite Teams : Cincinnati Bearcats, Cleveland Browns

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Guaranteed starting spots for the top 35 in owners points is a joke. Who cares what they did last year. As Line Judge said, divisional champs in football aren't given a provisional to the playoffs the following year. If you get beat out by a "lesser" team, that is your own friggin fault. (SEE: Super Bowl XLII)

I have no problems with running the Twin-125s, they are basically like two big heat races. But guaranteeing people starting spots in the 500 is ridiculous. Local race tracks don't guarantee starting spots to drivers. If you can't qualify high enough or race your way into a transfer position in your heat race, your @$$ doesn't see the main event. No reason for NAPCAR to be any different.

Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theredzone.talk-forums.com/
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:34 pm

Back Judge wrote:
Guaranteed starting spots for the top 35 in owners points is a joke. Who cares what they did last year. As Line Judge said, divisional champs in football aren't given a provisional to the playoffs the following year. If you get beat out by a "lesser" team, that is your own friggin fault. (SEE: Super Bowl XLII)

I have no problems with running the Twin-125s, they are basically like two big heat races. But guaranteeing people starting spots in the 500 is ridiculous. Local race tracks don't guarantee starting spots to drivers. If you can't qualify high enough or race your way into a transfer position in your heat race, your @$$ doesn't see the main event. No reason for NASCAR to be any different.

Mad
You cant compare those to things. That would be a good comparison only if you were comparing the divisional champs and the playoffs to the chase (Nascars playoffs). And the World of Outlaws also give provisionals to drivers if they don't make the A-main. Thats the same thing as Nascar. You can't compare Nascar and Football, they are totally different. So really you are comparing to things that make no sense to be compared in this situation.

Back to top Go down
Back Judge
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:42 pm

The Referee wrote:

You cant compare those to things. That would be a good comparison only if you were comparing the divisional champs and the playoffs to the chase (Nascars playoffs). And the World of Outlaws also give provisionals to drivers if they don't make the A-main. Thats the same thing as Nascar. You can't compare Nascar and Football, they are totally different. So really you are comparing to things that make no sense to be compared in this situation.

Yeah, but the World of Outlaws' 1 or 2 car provisional is different than a provisional for 80%+ of the entire field. I would have no problem if they only gave the provisional to 1 or 2 cars in the Daytona 500 (say the fast qualifier and last year's points champion IF they don't make it through the twin qualifying races). Any more than that is unnecessary.

One thing that The Drive, The Shot, The Fumble, and the '97 Series
all had in common was the fact the sun came up the next day.

Back to top Go down
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Back Judge wrote:
The Referee wrote:

Yeah, but the World of Outlaws' 1 or 2 car provisional is different than a provisional for 80%+ of the entire field. I would have no problem if they only gave the provisional to 1 or 2 cars in the Daytona 500 (say the fast qualifier and last year's points champion IF they don't make it through the twin qualifying races). Any more than that is unnecessary.
Don't get me wrong a would like to drop the number of guy from top 35 to maybe top 20 or 15 but i do see why they have it. It also keeps the guys towards the bottom of the points (from 28-40) racing hard to make the top 35 and get them 5 race guarantee that they will be in next year. Remember it is only for 5 races, not the whole season. After the 5th race they switch it to this years points.

Back to top Go down
Back Judge
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:24 pm

The Referee wrote:
Back Judge wrote:
The Referee wrote:

Don't get me wrong a would like to drop the number of guy from top 35 to maybe top 20 or 15 but i do see why they have it. It also keeps the guys towards the bottom of the points (from 28-40) racing hard to make the top 35 and get them 5 race guarantee that they will be in next year. Remember it is only for 5 races, not the whole season. After the 5th race they switch it to this years points.

Still bullcrap. They shouldn't have any sort of guarantee, no matter if its based on last years or this years points. You either qualify for a race or you don't. Whether you're some big name guy like Jeff Gordon or if your one of the Kenny Wallaces or Morgan Shepherds of the world, your chances should still be the same.

The way I see it, If you don't qualify in the top 43 (no matter who you are), oh well, better luck next week!

One thing that The Drive, The Shot, The Fumble, and the '97 Series
all had in common was the fact the sun came up the next day.

Back to top Go down
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:26 pm

[quote="The Referee"][quote="Back Judge"]
The Referee wrote:

So you're saying that if you finish in the top 35 the previous year, you shouldn' t have to race/qualify hard to make the 500?
I think that NASCAR automatically putting the top 35 into the race is their way of keeping their sponsors happy. If a bunch of no name guys (Nemechek, B. Said, Almindinger etc.) outqualify guys like Dale Jr., Gordon, Johnson, Kahne, Kenseth etc. who would watch the race? Just like if your favorite NFL team doesn't have any probowlers, you typically don't watch the Pro Bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:06 pm

[quote="Line Judge"][quote="The Referee"]
Back Judge wrote:
The Referee wrote:

So you're saying that if you finish in the top 35 the previous year, you shouldn' t have to race/qualify hard to make the 500?
I think that NASCAR automatically putting the top 35 into the race is their way of keeping their sponsors happy. If a bunch of no name guys (Nemechek, B. Said, Almindinger etc.) outqualify guys like Dale Jr., Gordon, Johnson, Kahne, Kenseth etc. who would watch the race? Just like if your favorite NFL team doesn't have any probowlers, you typically don't watch the Pro Bowl.

Actually I dont think much people want the pro bowl. Just for the fact that alot of the original pro bowlers dont even show up, they withdraw.

Back to top Go down
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Way to change topics..... affraid
Pick your winner for the 500 here.
I'm picking Jeff Gordon, even though I'm not a fan of his.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:19 pm

well, Im gonna go with a Hendricks car and the guy who dominated the Bud shootout. Dale Jr. His car looked so good.

Back to top Go down
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm gonna have to go with Jr. too (a slight bias I admit) but it will be really hard to win the shootout AND 500
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Back Judge
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:56 pm

I won't narrow it down to one driver yet, but I'll predict that Toyota gets their first win. Very Happy

Blaney would be nice. banana
Back to top Go down
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Back Judge wrote:
I won't narrow it down to one driver yet, but I'll predict that Toyota gets their first win. Very Happy

I hope Toyota never gets a win! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Back Judge wrote:

i think mullet boy (stewart) will be the first toyota to win. but it wont be this week.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daytona 500 Qualifying   

Back to top Go down

Daytona 500 Qualifying
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1