Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?   Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:27 pm

Click HERE for the link
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Bucs Look For Back-Up QB's

The St. Petersburg Times reported the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will look to add at least one veteran quarterback this offseason to serve as a reserve to Jeff Garcia. The guy to keep an eye on is Daunte Culpepper, who struggled in his only season with the Raiders. Remember, the Bucs met with Culpepper in Tampa last year, and Gruden is intrigued by his arm strength and accomplishments. Last season, Culpepper started six games for the Raiders, passing for 1,331 yards with five touchdowns and five interceptions. But he has completed 63.8 percent of his career passing attempts, a figure that stands out to Gruden. And the Florida native might welcome a return to his home state. Others who might receive some attention from the Bucs include Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, who is an unrestricted free agent; Brian Griese, who could be cut loose from Chicago and had good success with the Bucs; and the Jets' Chad Pennington, a career 65.6 percentage passer who could become a free agent.

Culpepper has been bouncing from team to team ever since leaving Minnesota. Do you think he would be a good pick up/back up for Tampa Bay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davis7907
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?   Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:27 pm

I think it could work out well. Tampa has a better o-line than both Miami and Oakland so he might perform better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 247
Favorite Teams : Cleveland Browns, Boston Celtics, Ohio State Buckeyes
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?   Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:56 pm

I don't think it would be a good move by Tampa. This must mean that either Gruden doesn't like Simms (the forgotten man in TB) or he just hasn't recovered from injury. I think that if Tampa wants a veteran backup they should go after anyone but Culpepper who has been unimpressive since Randy Moss left Minnesota for Oakland. They would be best off going after Grossman or Pennington IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 466
Favorite Teams : Miami Dolphins

PostSubject: Re: Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?   Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:37 pm

AtzingerB wrote:
I don't think it would be a good move by Tampa. This must mean that either Gruden doesn't like Simms (the forgotten man in TB) or he just hasn't recovered from injury. I think that if Tampa wants a veteran backup they should go after anyone but Culpepper who has been unimpressive since Randy Moss left Minnesota for Oakland. They would be best off going after Grossman or Pennington IMO.
I think bringing in Garcia last year said that. I think they will bring in a young guy via the draft to groom behind Gracia.

"You lose with potential. You win with performance."...Bill Parcells
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theredzone.talk-forums.com
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?   Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:44 pm

Yeah, but IIRC Simms wasn't expected to be back for this past season but for this upcoming season but I could be wrong.

Regardless, i don't think Culpepper is a great choice from them because IMO Randy Moss made Culpepper what he is and without Moss he is a very average QB in the NFL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 211

PostSubject: Re: Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?   Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:48 pm

The only reason Garcia was brought in was because Simms tore his spleen out diving for a TD. Remember, Gradkowski had to finish the last about 10 games of the season. I think Gruden has confidence in Simms, as he did lead them to the playoffs before his injury. Maybe this is a sign that he's not recovering fast enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?   Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Line Judge wrote:
The only reason Garcia was brought in was because Simms tore his spleen out diving for a TD. Remember, Gradkowski had to finish the last about 10 games of the season. I think Gruden has confidence in Simms, as he did lead them to the playoffs before his injury. Maybe this is a sign that he's not recovering fast enough.

Exactly what I was trying to get at.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?   

Back to top Go down

Bucs possibly looking at Culpepper?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: National Football League :: NFL Rumors-
Jump to: